If you are a Fall 2022 incoming freshman recipient of the UNT Meritorious Scholarship for National Merit Finalists, Terry Foundation Scholarship or a President’s Level or Dean’s Level UNT Excellence Scholarship, you do not need to complete an application—you are automatically admitted into the Honors College.Students that are not automatically admitted to the Honors College may apply to join the Honors College after being admitted to UNT. Once you have been assigned a UNT Student ID number and a UNT email, use the link below to complete your application.
The first question on the application asks that you indicate whether you are an incoming freshman, a continuing student, or a transfer student.
- Incoming freshmen are often referred to as first time in college students. If you graduate High School in Spring of 2022 (or plan to graduate in fall 2022), and are not currently enrolled in classes at UNT or another institution, please select the Freshman designation.
- If you are currently enrolled in UNT classes, choose the Continuing Student designation.
- If you have completed one or more semesters of classes from another college or university, and have not yet taken courses at UNT, please select the Transfer Student designation.
Incorrect responses to this question may delay the processing of your application. If you have any questions about how to complete the application, contact HonorsCollege@unt.edu.
Before beginning the application, assemble all required components (written component and resume). These files should be saved as Word or PDF documents. Additional files (transcripts, etc.) are not required as the student academic record is available to the Honors Admissions staff.
Your written component (double spaced, 250-750 words) should respond to one of the prompts below.
- If you learned today that the world would end in exactly 6 years, what would you do? Would you get in touch with someone, finish your career, pursue your dreams, change for the better?
- Briefly describe a piece of media (book, film, video game, etc) that has had a profound and lasting impact on you. How has it changed the way you view the world or yourself?
- Consider the critical lessons, advice, and philosophy that a current or former teacher/professor, coach, supervisor, or family member has imparted on you. Share how their influence has impacted your personal, academic, and/or professional career. Describe how you would take the principles learned from them to further your success at UNT and beyond.
Your resume should summarize your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and work history.
Incoming freshman will also be asked to provide their high school GPA, class rank (if available), and ACT/SAT scores (optional).
If you wish to explain anything in your application, you may submit an addendum. An addendum is appropriate if you think the admissions committee is likely to have questions about your application. For example, if you do not believe your academic records accurately reflect your ability to succeed in the Honors College, you may use an addendum to tell us why and to share what you believe indicates your potential. Addenda should be saved as Word or PDF files and uploaded with your other application materials.
The Honors College is only open to undergraduate students pursuing their first Bachelors Degree.