Applications for the 2021-2022 McNair Scholars Program cohort close October 27th, 2021. Submissions are reviewed by the selection committee, interviews are conducted in November, then decisions finalized by December 1st, 2021.
Join an info zoom session 10/19 at 3:30pm, 10/20 at 7pm, 10/21 at 10am or 10/22 at 3pm for more information. Zoom link: https://unt.zoom.us/j/82745546727
Personal Essay of 800-1000 words
- Describe why you would like to pursue a PhD in your chosen field
- Explain both your tentative plans for research and your career goals
- Detail your background (low income and first generation college student / member of a group recognized federally as underrepresented in graduate education), and outline your specific educational needs
- Address the specific advantages that you believe being a McNair Scholar will provide you
- Clarify your understanding of the McNair Program goals, and how they will assist you in preparing for PhD studies
Please note: The UNT Writing Center is available to virtually assist with editing and revising your personal essay.
- Two Recommendations
- You must submit electronic contact information (on the application itself) for two individuals who will be contacted by McNair staff after your application is submitted, to complete a recommendation form detailing your overall ability as a student, potential in graduate school, and your aptitude for research
- Unofficial academic transcripts
- Access via myUNT for unofficial transcript, or contact your previous institution(s)
- IRS Tax Transcript for income verification
- Submit the 2020 IRS Tax Return Transcript (TRT) of your parent or guardian if you are a dependent student, or your own, if you are an independent student
- To determine if you are dependent or independent, please click here
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts can be accessed online or by phone. Use the directions provided by UNT Financial Aid & Scholarships to request your IRS TRT as soon as possible; requests mailed generally take a week to 10 days to be received. Directions available here.
- Prior to submitting your tax documents, please mark out all but the last four digits of any social security number visible on the document
This application is a fillable pdf form. In order to complete it electronically, please download first, save it, reopen, and then populate.
Applications can be delivered to Sage Hall, suite 390, or emailed to McNair@unt.edu.
Should you require any assistance with this process, contact our staff at McNair@unt.edu