************************************ DEADLINE EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 24TH *********************************
If you do NOT recieve a submission confirmation page or are redirected to a blank application after clicking submit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately for a printable application! Paper applications MUST be submitted by October 24th.
Applications for the next cohort of McNair Scholars starts now! Students who are first generation college students, from low income families, or are members of underrepresented groups, and who plan to pursue the Ph.D. degree, please TAKE NOTE!!
Applications are accepted through October 24, 2018.
Recommendations must be submitted by October 27. We will notify all applicants as to their status by the end of November 2018, and the new Scholars will begin in the program in December 2018.
We have verified that the following browers work well with this online application, so please used of these:
- Internet Explorer
For more details about the UNT McNair Scholars Program, visit the Program Information page. You will find information on eligibility, benefits, and responsibilities to the McNair program.
Come visit us in Sage Hall 390 and join us at one of the information sessions listed below; or send us an email at McNair@unt.edu with any questions.
October 1 or 2, 2018 at 12:00 – 1:00 PM Sage Hall 390
October 9, 2018 at 3:00 – 4:00 PM Sage Hall 390
October 10, 2018 at 10:00 – 11:00 AM Sage Hall 390
October 11, 2018 at 11:00AM – 12:00 PM Sage Hall 390
Checklist for a Completed Application (Item 1 - 5):
1. Online McNair Application
2. Two Essays (Part of the Online Application)
- Two short (400-500 word) personal essays
- Essay 1: Describe your interest in your field of study and why you would like to pursue a Ph.D. Discuss your tentative plans for research and career goals.
- Essay 2: Given your background (low income, first generation college student, or member of underrepresented group), discuss some of your specific educational needs and address the specific advantages that being part of the McNair program will give you. In other words, explain why you believe working within the McNair Scholars Program will assist you in preparing for graduate studies and ultimately achieving your goal of obtaining a Ph.D.
We encourage you to visit the UNT Writing Center, Sage Hall, room 150 https://writingcenter.unt.edu/. Writing Center staff will help you edit and revise your personal essays. The McNair staff has contacted the director of the UNT Writing Lab, and she and her staff look forward to helping you!
3. Two Recommendations
You will need 2 recommendations. Your references cannot submit recommendations until after your application has been submitted. Once you submit your appllication, each reference will receive an email to access a web form and answer several questions about your overall ability as a student, your potential in graduate school, and your aptitude to do research. We encourage you not to wait until the deadline to submit your application, since references may not have an opportunity to complete the information! Please note: incomplete applications and/or applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
4. Unofficial academic transcripts from UNT or previous institute
- Access via MyUNT for unofficial transcript or contact your previous institute
- Submit via email@example.com or turn in the paper copy in person at Sage Hall 390
5. IRS Tax Transcript for income verification
- You will need your parent’s 2017 IRS Tax Return Transcript (TRT) if you are a dependent student, or your IRS Tax Return Transcript if you are an independent student. To find out if you are a dependent or independent student please click here.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts can be accessed online or by phone. Use the directions provided by UNT Financial Aid & Scholarships to request your IRS Tax Transcript as soon as possible. Requests mailed generally take a week to 10 days to be received, Pleae click on the link to access your family or your tax transcript from IRS: Link
- Submit your IRS Tax Return Transcripts in person at Sage Hall 390 or via email, after you have blacked out all but the last 4-digits of any SSN# included on the TRT, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Application and Selection Process||Deadline||Additional Information|
|Recommendations||October 27, 2018 11:59 PM||
DON'T wait until you have submitted your application to ask for a recommendation. Contact your recommenders as soon as possible to confirm their participation. It is in your best interests to submit your application well before the deadline because only when we get your completed application will we send an email to your recommenders requesting that they complete an online recommendation form for you. Their deadline for completing that recommendation form is very tight, and if you wait until the last minute your recommender may not be able to get it done on time.
|Preliminary Interviews||Upon receipt of completed application||During these interviews, the McNair staff will discuss your elibility and the program's expectations for participation. Based on these interviews, selected applicants will move forward to the final interviews.|
|Final Interviews||Tentatively November 5-16, 2018||The McNair Selection Committee, comprising UNT faculty members and McNair alumni, will conduct 30 minute interviews with each of the selected applicants. The Selection Committee makes recommendations on the final selection of applicants for the McNair Scholars Program.|
|Selection Decision Announced||Tentatively November 21, 2018||Applicants will be notified via email of final selection decision.|
You must login with your EUID before you can access the online application: Click on the link at the top of the page to login.
- Log in (at the top of this page) using your EUID and its password
- Scroll back to the bottom of this page and click Next Page to begin
- Enter data for each item
- You can save your draft at any point and come back to it later, just click on Save Draft
- Once you have completed the entire application including the two essays and names and contact information of your recommenders, click the Submit button
- Any errors or incomplete entries will be identified -- correct or complete them
- Click on Submit again
- If no errors, your application will be submitted.
Click "Next Page" to begin application and use the "Save Draft" button at the bottom of pages to save your progress to return later to complete your application.
If you have any questions or experience technical difficulty during the online application, please send your inquiry to McNair@unt.edu, call the McNair Office at 940-565-3681, or stop by our office in Sage Hall 390.